Sunday, August 25, 2019

Final Thoughts

In my current work as a children's case manager I felt I had a solid foundation on many aspects of recovery. This course gave me so much inspiration how to continue to support individuals with mental health needs and challenge me to think deeper about how incredibly crucial it is to have the client's involvement every step of the way during treatment.

A few aspects of the course stuck out to me. The first aspect, in the beginning of the course, which I will carry with me is Particia Deegan speaking about how individuals are "experts in their journey of recovery." This statement really challenged me to take a good look at if my practice is client focused and I hope to carry this on as I continue in social work.

Another piece of insight I will carry with me is of Judi Chamberlain's narrative when she spoke about her time in a psychiatric hospital. Judi notes towards the article, "Recovery is for everyone." This part really spoke to me. I hope to continue to remember this piece not throughout my time as a social worker but as an advocate as well and to challenge any person who does not think recovery is for everyone.

This class definitely greatly elevated the foundation I had for client centered recovery.

(published by Jenn Luja)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenn, I loved Patricia Deegan’s quote you picked in your final thoughts. I thought she was inspirational and I hear she comes to Maine to talk. Good luck in your path of social work. You will be great!!

    ReplyDelete